We plan and implement all aspects of small-scale
Preliminary Site Assessments
(PSA) - This affordable service is a partnership
with your municipality and Community Hydro. Our detailed guide
will help you investigate your site's potential for small-scale
hydro development. We use the information you provide to calculate
design flows and power output. The cost of the PSA is credited
toward the project's Feasibility Analysis.
- This comprehensive analysis includes detailed estimates of
power and energy output, system design, interconnection, regulatory
regime, financial feasiblity and barriers to development.
- We'll identify capital and operating costs as well as potential
funding sources (including municipal bonding). Many projects
are not completed due to lack of financing. Our team includes
consultants with years of experience in getting projects off
- Our full-service permitting expertise covers local, state
and federal permits.
- Assistance with purchase and installation of equipment, utility
negotiation, interconnection with grid, sale of power (either
as purchase power with the utility or net-metering) and sale
of renewable energy credits (and greenhouse gas emission credits
- Finding the equipment suitable to your site can be difficult.
Community Hydro maintains relationships with manufacturers of
reliable turbines for both low-head and high-head applications.
We work closely with Nautilus Turbines. Nautilus is scaling
up its low-head designs for projects of up to 500 KW.
- Our team will work with your contractors or provide our own
for professional site installation.
- Community Hydro works with schools to promote
the benefits of energy conservation (including lower property
tax rates) and to build support for small-scale hydro power
within the community. The goal is to work with a small, core
group of students interested in math, science and engineering
throughout the life of the project. Students would work on real-life
project to develop skills for understanding and solving real-world
problems. Here are a few more curriculum